Friday, November 16, 2007
12:00pm - 1:30pm
On Saturday, November 3rd General Musharraf declared a "State of Emergency Plus" in Pakistan. This Teach- In will be focused on short presentations, providing historical and political background to the current crisis, followed by audience Q&A session.
- Atiya Khan, Department of History, will speak on Pakistan in the 1960s: Revolt and Counter- Revolution.
- C.M. Naim, Professor Emeritus, Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations, will speak on the US/Pakistan relations since the 50s.
- Manan Ahmed, Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations, will speak on the
- Baluchistan/Swat crisis behind this Martial Law.
- Aqil Shah, Department of Political Science, Columbia University will talk about the immediate and structural features of praetorianism in Pakistan and how they have shaped prospects of democratization over time.